Thursday 9 February 2012

The PTS Column: Doctor Who or Merlin?

Hello, and welcome to a new feature: The PTS Column. This column will appear every Thursday and will include my opinions, thoughts and rants on things. The first column is on what actually was the better series: Doctor Who, or Merlin. I'm not including Being Human, because it's a 15, and the others are a 12, so I can't really compare them. Anyway, so, here's the column!

First of all: Doctor Who came out worst last year, sadly. Not that I didn't enjoy series six - in fact, I enjoyed it a lot, it was just that it didn't do something that Sherlock and Merlin did. Improve. Series six was something of a helter-skelter ride in terms of quality. For every couple of blinders (The Doctor's Wife, The Girl Who Waited), there were bog-average stories (The Curse of the Black Spot, The Almost People) and the consistency suffered as a result.

However, with Merlin, series four marked a sharp rise in quality, and it was all the more enjoyable for it. Gone were the crap comedy episodes with pixies, in were the dark arc-centric one-offs, and the series really felt better as a result. I actually preferred Merlin to Doctor Who last year, because Merlin was consistent, and Doctor Who was not.

So there you are, my thoughts. The PTS Column will return Thursday 16 February!

No comments:

Post a Comment